The planet consists of the smallest indivisible particles & ndash; atoms. They cannot be seen even under a microscope, which cannot be said about a molecule. What is their main difference, reminds AIF.
What is the difference between an atom and a molecule?
The main difference is that a molecule is larger and can consist of one, two or more atoms, which are chemically related. Atoms are & ndash; they are indivisible units that are the smallest particles of this planet.
According to Professor of the Department of Physics of the Moscow State Institute of Electronics and Mathematics Taisiya Trofimova , atoms & nbsp; inside a molecule have interatomic bonds. Each molecule is made up of atomic nuclei and internal electrons.
So, according to the professor's information, each atom has its own place inside the molecule. Certain chemical properties of the final product depend on the number of atoms in it & ndash; substances.
A distinctive feature of atoms & ndash; it is a constant movement. The smallest particles never stop, they continue to vibrate in their proper place in the molecule in order to maintain equilibrium.
- may consist of one or more atoms linked together;
- invisible, but visible under the microscope;
- has a different weight depending on the number of atoms from which the molecule is formed;
- exists in linear, trigonal, pyramidal forms and others;
- the atoms that make up the molecule are linked by a covalent bond .
Properties of atoms:
- smallest indivisible unit;
- not visible even under a microscope;
- the weight of one atom is approximately equal to the sum of the masses of the protons, neutrons and electrons that make up this atom;
- does not have a fixed shape, but is usually considered spherical;
- subatomic particles are bound by & nbsp; Coulomb gravity.
How many atoms does the universe consist of?
There are no specific numbers, as some scientists put forward versions of infinity & nbsp; The universe, therefore & nbsp; human estimates of this parameter are estimates. Only the area visible to people is taken. So, according to scientists, the Universe & nbsp; consists of 10 to the power of 80 smallest atoms.
- the body of an adult & ndash; & nbsp; of 7 octallions of atoms (that's 27 zeros);
- 1 gram of gold & ndash; from about & nbsp; 18×10 to the power of 26 & nbsp; atoms;
- 1 liter of water & ndash; of approximately 3.35 & nbsp; x & nbsp; 10 powers of 25 atoms.